According to the NHTSA, 4,951 individuals in 2018 died due to crashes involving large trucks. All commercial vehicle accidents could result in serious injuries. But a crash between a pedestrian, motorcycle, or a passenger car and a large commercial truck usually results in catastrophic harm. This is often why the help of a commercial truck accident lawyer is important.
What Causes Commercial Truck Accidents?
Accidents involving commercial trucks usually result from:
- Overly tired truckers whose fatigue stems from violating or being forced to violate laws that restrict the number of hours they can drive
- Truckers who merge or change lanes suddenly or without looking
- Truckers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted truck drivers
- A failure or malfunction of a truck component, such as the brakes or tires, due to lack of or poor maintenance and inspections
Commercial Truck Laws
Besides local and state laws, commercial truck drivers and their employers should likewise comply with the rules and regulations of the FMCSA, including:
- Rules that limit the specific hours that drivers should work to prevent them from driving in an unsafe and fatigued condition
- The strict requirement to conduct regular and thorough maintenance and inspections to make certain that the truck functions properly
- Rules that dictate the specific kinds of load trucks may carry and how to secure the loads properly to avoid accidents.
These special traffic rules and regulations were developed to reduce the risk that commercial trucks can pose to other road users.
Liability in Commercial Truck Accidents
Depending on the specific circumstances of the commercial truck accident, one or more of these parties may be held legally liable for the accident and your losses:
- The truck driver – for negligence
- The truck driver’s employer – for violating certain FMCSA rules
- The company or individual tasked to maintain or inspect the truck – for poor inspections and maintenance
- The company or person that leases or owns the truck – for violating certain FMCSA rules
- The manufacturer of the truck or a certain truck component – for defective product liability
Find Out How an Experienced South Carolina Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
The enormous weight of a commercial truck is what makes accidents that involve negligent truckers particularly harmful or even fatal. Here at Bringardner Injury Law Firm, our experienced commercial truck accident lawyer can help recover the full extent of your damages if you or a loved one sustained serious injuries in a commercial truck accident. Contact us online or call us at 843-400-0012 to schedule a free evaluation of your case.
Commercial Truck Accidents FAQs
Can I recover compensation from a commercial truck accident?
You may be able to recover compensation from the insurance company of the driver’s employer to cover the losses you incurred in a commercial truck accident.
How much compensation can I receive from a commercial truck accident?
The value of your compensation would mainly depend on your specific injuries and their effects on your life, as well as the damages that may apply to your case.
Do I need a lawyer for my commercial truck accident?
Yes. Having a lawyer by your side can help make sure that you hold the liable parties accountable for your losses and maximize your compensation.