A jackknifed truck is a danger on the roads to other motorists. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 5% of truck accidents involve a jackknifed truck. For the thousands of victims involved in truck crashes each year, the consequences can be devastating, even deadly.
Lawyer for Jackknife Truck Accidents
Bringardner Injury Law Firm in Charleston, SC represents victims of jackknife truck accidents. When you need a truck accident lawyer, our law firm can assist you in investigating what has occurred and pursuing your legal rights. You may deserve financial compensation. Our lawyers can work to obtain justice in your case. Contact us now to discuss your situation.
Understanding Jackknife Truck Accidents
When a tractor trailer is correctly positioned, the cab of the truck is in front of the trailer. The cab pulls the trailer behind it. The coupling system connects the truck and trailer. A hitch may also connect the two.
When jackknifing occurs, the truck folds in on itself, and the cab snaps to a different direction. The trailer swings from its correct position to form a right angle with the truck cab. It may even push the truck so far that it faces backwards.
The jackknifed condition involves the loss of control of the truck. It creates a hazard for other vehicles. The result may be a multi-vehicle crash.
What causes jackknife truck accidents?
Jackknife truck accidents may be caused by:
- Braking too quickly or with poor technique
- Mechanical or equipment failure
- Icy or wet road conditions
- Purposeful response to brake failure
- Debris or animals in the roads
- Drunk, impaired, or fatigued driving
- Improper training
- Poor reaction to an unusual event or condition, oversteering
- Overloaded trailer or improper weights and balances
- Poor coupling design
A jackknifing truck accident may have several causes. The cause of a crash may be complex, and be attributed to multiple factors. You should speak with one of our attorneys to see you this could affect your case.
Why are jackknife truck accidents so dangerous?
A jackknifed truck accident is dangerous because it involves a large, heavy vehicle that is out of control. The cab or trailer can hit other vehicles. It may be impossible for other vehicles to avoid. Any impact that occurs may be especially serious because of the large weight of the truck, and It may be worsened from traveling at highway speeds.
Compensation for Jackknife Truck Accident Victims
A victim of a jackknife truck accident may deserve financial compensation. They receive that compensation by bringing a legal claim, often with the help of an experienced truck accident lawyer.
There are several legal issues that may be especially important to jackknife crash victims. When our law firm represents you, we work to identify all the considerations that may need to be addressed in your situation.
- Proving fault: Negligence is the most common legal grounds for truck accident compensation. You must show how negligence, (i.e. carelessness) resulted in the accident. Usually, a jackknife accident is the result of poor driving or a failure of truck parts and mechanics. Our lawyers investigate what occurred and who has legal responsibility.
- Naming the right defendant: As the accident victim, you must identify the appropriate defendants to the case. Usually, the truck driver is responsible for careless driving. Also, however, the trucking company they work for will be legally responsible for the harm cause by the truck driver. That is the law in South Carolina and virtually every state. The manufacturer of the truck, trailer, or other equipment may also be responsible for a defect that causes an accident.
- Trucking companies from out of state: Trucking companies often operate interstate. It may be possible that the company involved in your crash is based in another state. Our law firm can address any issues that may arise if the case involves an interstate trucking company.
- Full extent of the damages: Injuries from a jackknife truck collision are typically severe. Victims often face a long road to recovery. They may have harm that lasts a lifetime. These injuries, including future medical expenses, can be a part of a claim for compensation. To receive compensation for future damages, they must be included in the claim. It’s important to gather the evidence necessary to sustain a claim for future damages.
- Causation of damages: Damages must be result of the accident. Medical experts can explain how the impact caused by the jackknifed truck produced the injuries that occurred.
- Insurance policies: Claims are often settled through insurance policies. Receiving fair compensation is often a matter of identifying what insurance exists, the applicable policy limits, and how to file and properly pursue a claim.
- When our lawyers represent you, we handle all of these matters so you can focus on your health and your family.
Each jackknife truck accident claim has unique factual and legal issues, although injuries are almost always very serious or fatal. You deserve compensation that reflects the severity of the harm that you have suffered.
Call a Charleston Truck Accident After a Jackknife Crash
Trucking companies have teams of lawyers to assist them in defending against legal claims. When you are hurt in a trucking jackknife accident, it is smart to retain legal representation to aggressively pursue your compensation and protect your rights.
The truck accident lawyers at Bringardner Injury Law Firm offer the experience, resources, hard work, grit, and determination to get results for jackknife accident victims. We don’t hesitate to take cases to trial if the insurance company refuses to settle fairly.
Contact us for your free consultation. Call or message us now to begin.