Were you injured in a semi-truck rear-end accident? If so, it is smart to talk to a truck accident lawyer in Charleston to understand your rights before talking to the trucking company or its insurance carrier. You may be entitled to compensation if the driver or trucking company is legally responsible for the accident. Truck accidents can be complicated, and working with a semi-truck rear-end accident lawyer in Charleston, SC may help you receive full compensation.
At Bringardner Injury Law Firm, we will do everything we can to maximize your settlement and resolve your case quickly. Contact us now to talk to a semi-truck rear-end accident lawyer.
Rear-End Truck Accident Attorney in Charleston, South Carolina
Even the lightest 18-wheeler semi-truck can weigh 10,000 pounds. Transporting a load, it can weigh several times that amount. When a rear-end crash occurs, victims may suffer devastating injuries. Medical bills, lost income, vehicle damage and personal suffering may all be extreme. It can be exhausting to fight the insurance company and the trucking company to fairly cover your losses.
The lawyers at Bringardner Injury Law Firm can help. Mark Bringardner is an experienced rear-end truck accident lawyer who can represent you throughout the proceedings. If we take your case, we will work hard on your behalf to pursue justice and the monetary compensation that you deserve.
Contact us today for a free consultation.
What are the causes of semi-truck rear-end accidents?
Common causes of semi-truck rear-end accidents include:
- Speeding, driving too fast for conditions
- Lack of situational awareness, not paying attention to the road, distracted driving
- Inability to stop quickly because of the heavy weight of the vehicle
- Not leaving enough following distance for passenger cars and other vehicles
- Instability of the large truck
- Vehicle design flaws
- Brake and mechanical failure
- Driving while fatigued
- Failing to understand how a transported load may impact truck response
- Poor driver training and an inability to maneuver the truck safely
- Drunk and drugged driving
- Weather and road conditions, animals running loose
Who is legally liable for a semi-truck rear-end accident?
The trucking company is almost always legally at fault for a rear-end accident in South Carolina. S.C. Code § 56-5-1930 prohibits a driver from following another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent. That means a driver must be able to stop for the vehicle in front of them.
Drivers must be aware of the speed of other vehicles and road conditions. For truck drivers, that means being mindful of the fact that their trucks do not stop quickly. The trucking company is liable for the actions of its driver. Plus, they may be directly responsible for hiring an unqualified driver or failing to properly train or supervise the driver.
Facts and statistics for semi-truck accidents in Charleston, SC
Charleston, SC is home to about 151,612 residents. The metropolitan area, comprising Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties, is home to 799,636 residents. (Census, 2020 Population). Interstate 26 runs into the heart of Charleston, connecting to I-95, I-77, I-20, I-85 and I-40.
- There were 71 fatal semi-truck collisions in South Carolina in 2020, with 86 total fatalities.
- 1,515 non-fatal semi-truck crash injuries occurred in South Carolina in 2020, resulting from a total of 1,067 collisions.
- Semi-truck crashes occur steadily throughout the year in South Carolina. There is no particular time of year that they are more prevalent in the state.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays have the most semi-truck crashes in the week. Saturdays and Sundays have the least. In fact, crashes may occur up to five times more often during the week than on weekends. This may be because of less commercial traffic and less traffic overall on the weekends.
Interstates are where crashes happen most frequently. Most occur on the largest and fastest roads – our interstates and highways.
Total Tractor Truck Injuries by Type of Road
Type of Road: No. of Injury Collisions (Percent of Total Injuries)
- Interstate: 408 (38%)
- US Primary Highways: 252 (24%)
- SC Primary Highways 232 (22%)
- Secondary: 142 (13%)
- Ramp: 17 (>2%)
- County: 16 (>2%)
Source: South Carolina Department of Public Safety, Traffic Collision Fact Book, 2020 Edition
Injuries and Compensation for Semi-Truck Rear-End Accidents
Injuries that are common for semi-truck accident victims are:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury, concussion
- Back and spine injuries
- Organ damage, body system failures
Whatever your injuries, they have likely interfered with your life. Our legal team can ensure that you are made whole to the fullest extent of the law.
Compensation available for getting rear-ended by a semi-truck
The compensation that you may receive for a semi-truck rear-end accident should cover your financial and personal losses. Direct monetary losses and income losses can be included. In addition, you may claim fair compensation for your physical pain, suffering, emotional anguish, disfigurement and other damages.
Many people underestimate what their claim is worth. The insurance company probably isn’t going to offer a fair settlement amount unless you pursue it with the help of an experienced rear-end semi-truck lawyer. Our lawyers know what goes into valuing a claim and how to diligently work for the compensation that is appropriate for your case.
Many claims are resolved through settlements, but if not, we can take your case to court by filing a lawsuit. However, most cases that require a lawsuit eventually settle and do not end up in a trial. There isn’t a calculator to use for every case because there are many factors that may play a role in the amount of compensation. Whether or not you get a fair payout depends on legal fault, the severity of injuries and damages, the amount(s) of insurance coverage, and many other factors.
Work With Our Experienced Truck Accident Attorneys
The sooner you contact us, the sooner you can be on the path to the compensation you deserve. We diligently prepare each case, protect you from the insurance company’s tactics, and fight until you have justice.
If you have been hurt, it is smart to work with a semi-truck rear-end accident lawyer in Charleston, SC. Have confidence that your case is in good hands and contact Bringardner Injury Law Firm.
We’re available 24/7. Call or message us today.